18 July 2009

Quick and Yummy

So the other day I was making some brown rice for my little boy. As it was cooking, I realized that I was feeling pretty hungry myself. So I tried thinking of the quickest, easiest meal that I could make with rice. I remembered an easy dish that didn't require a lot of work or ingredients. So here is the recipe for my haystacks.

1 can cooked chicken breast (or 1 breast boiled and shredded)
1 cup chicken gravy (or to make it a little easier, use cream of chicken soup)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 can pineapple chunks
1 1/2 cups peas (or other cut up veggies)
chow mein noodles (the crunchy ones)
3 cups rice, cooked

Make the gravy according to package directions. Assemble the haystacks with rice on the bottom, then chicken and gravy mixed together. Add cheese to top, followed by veggies and desired amount of pineapple. Sprinkle chow mein noodles over the top and enjoy. This should make about 4 servings.

I actually forgot about the cheese until I had finished the meal, but doing that kept the meal pretty healthy. I even fed it to my little 11 month old boy without the noodles and pineapple. He just loved it, and so did I... a nice balance of sweet, salty, and creamy...not to mention healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

background