16 June 2011

Healthified Sloppy Joes



So as of this week, my husband has lost 30 lbs on good ol' home cooking and regular exercise. This blog has actually played a big part in that . Having it actually inspired me to try new recipes or take older ones and "healthify" them. I have found a few blogs to help there and wanted to share one with my readers. I love this one because it is run by a registered dietitian that just wants to raise healthy eaters. I changed just a few things and doubled the recipe so that I have another night's dinner already cooked


Healthified Sloppy Joes!

1 lb. ground turkey, beef or vegetarian ground meat,

1/2 yellow onion, finely diced

1 red or yellow bell pepper, finely diced (I used a yellow and several small sweet peppers)

1 large carrot, grated

2 large tomatoes, diced (or 15 oz tomato sauce)

1 Tbsp. brown sugar

2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

2 Tbsp. ketchup

8 whole wheat buns, (I used sandwich Thins)
Directions

In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the meat in its own juices until it is almost cooked through. . Drain off the excess liquid, if necessary, and add the diced vegetables to the skillet. Sauté the mixture for 2 minutes and add all the remaining ingredients, except the buns. Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat, cover the skillet, and simmer it for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender. At this point you can refrigerate or freeze the mixture, or proceed to the next step.
To serve the sandwiches, lightly toast the buns and fill each one with a large spoonful of the meat mixture.



I used to have a pretty picky eater, but he ate this right up so I am thinking that the pickiness was subdued by the tasty sloppy Joes!


Nutritional Information per serving (% based upon daily values)

(with turkey)

Calories: 261

Total Fat: 10g, 15%

Saturated Fat: 2g, 5%

Cholesterol: 40mg, 15%

Sodium: 550mg, 22%

Total Carbohydrate: 30g, 10%; Dietary Fiber: 4g, 16%; Sugar: 5g

Protein: 17g

No comments:

Post a Comment

background