21 February 2011

Breakfast for Dinner!

So when I first got married, my husband decided that Sunday nights we should have a dinner tradition. We both concluded that Breakfast for dinner was the best idea and we have been sticking to it ever since. We usually have german pancakes or regular pancakes, but last night I decided to to make some french toast. I had forgotten how good it was!!! I wanted to share the recipe in case anybody out in blog world wanted to try something new!

Fabulous French Toast

8 1 inch thick cut slices of french bread (or just whatever kind of bread you have)
4 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup honey (heated until runny)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp orange zest

Mix the ingredients in a pie plate. Heat skillet on medium/high and butter the pan. Dip the slices of french bread into the egg mixture on both sides and place on heated skillet. Cook until both sides are browned and serve with syrup, applesauce, fruit or whatever you like on your food!

Another common breakfast for dinner that we have at our house is soooo simple that when I am running late and my husband wants to surprise me, this is what he makes.

German Pancakes

1 Cup milk
6 eggs
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
6 tbsp butter or margarine

heat oven to 425. Place butter in bottom on 9x13 pan and place in HOT oven for 5 minutes to melt butter.
Whisk all ingredients (except butter) and pour on the melted butter. Cook for 20 minutes. The german pancakes will rise in hills and valleys and be nice and golden brown.
Serve with whatever toppings sound good to you! (I like applesauce and whipped topping)

No comments:

Post a Comment

background