28 February 2011

Country Breakfast Skillet

Another Sunday, Another Breakfast....
So since I am back on this blogging kick, I decided I should try new things. I had a Gooseberry Patch Breakfast and Brunch cookbook that I got for Christmas. I tried the first recipe in the book, which was a "Country Breakfast Skillet". Honestly, it wasn't the best looking meal, but it tasted quite yummy. I did improvise a little bit, but I think it turned out GREAT!!

5 C. frozen, shredded, hashbrowns (thawed) - used tater tots
salt, pepper, garlic salt to taste - I used Morton Seasoning Salt
6-8 eggs (I used 6 whole eggs + 2 egg whites)
1/3 cup milk (1 Tbsp Morning Moo's + 1/3 cup water)
1/2 tomatoes, Chopped (1/2 c salsa)
4-6 green onions thinly sliced (i used the salsa)
1/4 lb thinly sliced deli ham, diced
1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese (I used 3/4 cup)

Cook hashbrowns in a skillet according to package directions. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Set aside.
Beat eggs with with milk. Stir in tomatoes and onions (or salsa). Add ham. Stir egg mixture into hashbrowns over medium heat. Stir quickly to scramble. As eggs begin to set, add cheese. Continue to stir until eggs are cooked and set.

Like I said, these are not the most pleasing to the eye, but they are loaded with protein and fill you up quickly. The recipe feeds 4-6 people and it freezes and thaws well if you have leftovers.

Good luck and happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

background