01 March 2011

An easier night with a boost of veggies!

I have a 2 year old that DOES NOT eat rice. Last night, he willingly ate some and asked for more. I was shocked. He ate all of his dinner so that warranted a trip to Cold Stone after my healthy dinner so it was a good night.
I made a goal this week to try a new recipe every day. So on Sunday I made my breakfast skillet and last night I tried a rice pilaf recipe from Doubly Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. I love the recipes in this cookbook because they are simple recipes that have added veggies hidden in them. If you are not familiar with Jessica Seinfeld's cooking approach, she sneaks veggies into her kids foods by cooking them up and pureeing them or by adding whole grains. I really am a "wannabeskinny mama" so this book really helps. I have noticed that as I eat more veggies every day, I lose weight easier. Here is the recipe for enriched rice Pilaf. As usual, I made a few modifications to fit me better.

RICE PILAF
prep: 5 minutes
Total time: 50 min
Serves 5

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup brown rice (I used 1 1/4 - 1 1/2)
1/2 c cauliflower puree ( I used about 3/4 cup)
1 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth (I just used a whole can)
1/4 tsp salt

In a saucepan, saute the garlic in the olive oil until is just starts to brown on the edges. Add the uncooked rice and toss to coat (abt 30 seconds)
Add the cauliflower puree, chicken broth, and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to a simmer with the lid tightly in place. Simmer abt. 45 min. or until rice is tender.DO NOT STIR!!
Let rice stand for 5 min and fluff with a fork. Serve. Enjoy!

The nutrition breakdown is:
Calories = 154
Carbs = 30 g
Protein = 4 g
Total Fat = 2 g
Saturated Fat = 0.5 g
Sodium = 140 mg
Fiber = 2 g

No comments:

Post a Comment

background